Happy Martin Luther King Day. I read an article this morning about some not-so-famous quotes from MLK and one of them, in particular, really stuck out for me.
“Every man of humane convictions must decide on the protest that best suits his convictions, but we must all protest.” – Martin Luther King
Those words couldn’t be more true in the food world. It might not be your place to move to Washington and lobby for better food choices but you ARE choosing with your dollars. By eating Mike’s Organic’s produce each week, you are supporting small local organic farms. This small gesture creates a ripple effect and is your protest for better food.
You can feel good about your protest as you eat one of my favorite salads…Broccoli Salad! I can’t begin to tell you how much I love this salad. Sometimes I put shredded chicken in it and eat it for dinner…and lunch the next day. When I was cooking for multiple clients, it was one of my top requested meals.
2 heads of broccoli
1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 cup dried cranberries (I like to use the ones sweetened with apple juice)
1 cup slivered almonds
1 package of good bacon
1 cup good quality mayonnaise (I like to make my own)
¼ cup honey
4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Pinch of salt
1. Slice bacon into bite-size pieces.
2. Cook bacon in oven or pan until crispy.
3. Cut off the stems to the broccoli and then cut florets into bite-size pieces.
4. Add broccoli, cranberries, almonds, bacon and scallions in a large bowl.
5. Whisk together mayonnaise, honey, vinegar and pinch of salt.
6. Pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly.
7. Let rest in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours. It’s even better if you make it the day before.